Sunday, October 17, 2004

I'm MRAZmerized


I’ve recently got myself a copy of Jason Mraz’ live album Tonight, Not Again: Jason Mraz Live at the Eagles Ballroom. It’s the best! Oh no, there’s no way that this is an attempt at reviewing that great CD. I just won’t give it justice. (See, I’m no good at making reasons, although I claim to be sensible. Yah, weird.) But I want here to express my love for Mraz music and my happiness for having the album.

Whoever likes Mraz music should have the CD. And surely, anyone who likes good music or good poems will not be disappointed to have it. Half of the tracks in the CD are songs that were previously unreleased, or if they were ever released somewhere, they’re not included in Waiting for my Rocket to Come album. His live versions are simply ah, mrazmerizing!

I said poems; here are a few lines from the song Unfold:

my hands are high
and I’m holding on, I’m holding on
and I figure that I, figure that I just might make it
and I’m waking empty
but seldom sleeping
and the words repeat breathing histories into stories untold
and I unfold
and here’s from the song Tonight, Not Again, written with Jenny Keene, who wrote the poem of same title from which the song was adapted:

The night.
She brushed her hands upon my flushed cheek
Smelled of childhood remnants of a dusty weeping willow
Clouds soothe, Shredded by the calico
Were oh so vast and quick as I was on my own now.
This time like every other time I believe that I never find
Another sweet little girl with sequined sea foam eyes
Ocean lapping voice smile coy as the brightest quiet span of sky
And I'm all alone again tonight not again, not again, not again.
And don't it feel alright. and don't it feel so nice. Lovely.

I don’t often rave this much about an album. Or about an artist, for that matter. I adore Jason Mraz for making the beautiful music that he does, for writing those songs, and for the passion he gives for his art. I find that passion most evident in his live performances such as in his Live in Manila concert early this year and in songs and videos that can be downloaded from the internet. So what a fortune that he came up with this live album.

When I thought of making this entry about the CD, I was afraid I’d only repeat saying “It’s great”. If I could write better, I would have properly described how good this Mraz album is. But to readers, just understand that I love the album and so I’m happy. This one’s something I will treasure.

No comments: